Monday, September 11, 2006

2 Tents, 2 sleeping bags, 1 air mattress, a ton of blankets, 1 whole bottle of bug spray, 15 changes of clothes, 1 box of graham crackers, 6 hershey bars, 1 GIANT bag of marshmellows, 1 night of camping with 30 of your closest friends....priceless! I know that some of you are finding it hard to believe that our family actually went camping, but we did. 8 families that we are friends with all decided to go camping for only 1 night, since most of us either did not camp, or not since we had kids. We went to a local campground, the Crosseyed Cricket, which was about 20 mins away. They had a stocked pond, canoes, swings, pool, hot tub, badmitton, and the hit of the weekend, a creek full of ducks which was only calf deep on the kids. There were about 35 of us all together. And let me tell you it was CrAzY! You had to cross the creek on some square stepping stones to get to the campsites, or take a bridge (that was not all that close). Every kid ended up in the water at some point, either by accident or on purpose. I actually fell in at 4am. I had to potty so bad, and did not want to walk to the bathhouse in the pitch black by myself. About that time Richard woke up to go, but I did not want to leave Gretchen in the tent by herself, although looking back at it she was sawing logs, and I doubt a herd of wild horses could have woken her. BUT I waited until Richard got back, and he said,"wear my flip flops, so you do not have to put your sneakers on". 1st big mistake, then I decided instead of walking through the dark woods to the bridge, I would cross the stream and be right at the road to the bath house. 2nd bigger mistake. I did have a flash light, but as all of you are aware, in the south at night the grass gets wet with dew. That includes the grass on the bank of the creek where you walk down to the stepping stones. That was my 3rd and final mistake. I took one step down onto the creekbed, and SLIIIIIIIIIIIP! right into the creek, all the way up to my knee. Soaked pj's pants leg, and mud down the side of my behind. I know..HAHAHAHA! Yeah, I was laughing, NOT! Luckily, I had ignored Richard's request of not packing clothes since it was only one day, and I changed back at the tent, AFTER I went potty. The kids however had a blast with their friends, went canoeing, ate their weight in smores, and the adults played some games. We had a good time, and decided that we could all handle once a year, even if my kids did go through 10 changes of clothes.

1 comment:

Dare said...

That looks like a fun little park/campsite! I bet the kids had a BLAST!!! We would love to camp with you next year at your annual one nighter! :)

You should camp here with us at the beach, it's a lot more fun than it sounds! Ask the boys!!!!

Ya know, my first thought about this slipping into the creek thing was.. "why didn't she just pee in the woods?" Next time.. just pop a squat in the woods when you have to pee in the middle of the night chica! Nobody will ever know:)