Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Who Needs A Fancy Camera?

I often think about blogging but never feel like anything exciting is going on.  Just life....I think maybe its because I don't have the pictures to accompany the events or because the events seem like they are on repeat.   When the kids were younger there were a lot of firsts. Or maybe we did more with the kids.  Now they are all teens and have their own adventures to blog about. Or tweet. Or snapchat. Maybe its because Richard and I have been making our own adventures.  Maybe its because when you pull out the fancy camera the scowls and eye rolls and weird faces and ughs come out.  HA!  Regardless, we are still enjoying adventures down in hot, humid Florida.

Here's a little recap of the summer...in no particular order.

 Gretchen has fully recovered from the hip surgery she had back in February.  She was a remarkable patient and followed the surgeon's orders exactly.  It paid off because he let her start to ease back into dancing in June and she got her full release in August. This was WAY ahead of schedule. She is back with her dance team and enjoyed several days of sleep away boot camp at the beginning of August.  These girls spent their days dancing and their evenings team building and roasting marshmallows around a campfire.  
 They are the sweetest bunch of girls and truly saved the day during her surgery.  They brought over so many meals and bed rest activities.  There were frequent visits and FaceTime calls to brighten her days.  We are extremely grateful for these ladies and their families for their service.
 Our girl, Roxy, or as we call her around here, Richard's girlfriend, got sick this summer.  We noticed she had been a little extra lazy and not really eating as much.  We kept thinking it was because Charlie was gone. (After 14 years, Charlie had to be put down due to some serious back problems. It was heartbreaking.  I miss that little guy everyday.) Roxy ended up getting worse and was having some serious digestion issues.  After several tests and a couple of days at the Vet, we found out she had gastroenteritis and it was quite severe.  They kept her hooked up to fluids and antibiotics to eliminate inflammation.  She seems to be doing better now.  We have her on a prescription food and can not feed her anything other than that. No treats, no people food, etc.  She gives you some sad eyes when you eat snacks now and don't share.     
 Richard and I celebrated our 20th anniversary! Aug 9, 1996... really seems like yesterday. Its fresh in my mind, being in DC getting married and having fun at our reception with all our family and friends.  I can still remember the delicious wedding cake....pound cake, a true southern girl's fav. The past 20 years have flown by but are full of wonderful memories.  Richard truly is my best friend and I am thrilled to spend many more years with him. 
 Dallin spent some time this summer visiting and hanging out with his longtime buddy, Trevor.  This pic is Dallin picking up the little bro, Porter from school.  Dallin had a blast in Dallas and can't wait to go back for more gun shooting, late night burger runs, water parks, sonic runs and fun!
 After living here for 4 years we finally decided to buy season passes to one of the parks.  Our kids all wanted Universal Studios & Islands of Adventure passes, so we have been sneaking away here and there riding roller coasters and people watching.  They had a special pass holder evening this summer which allowed Richard and I to ride some of the more popular rides without the long waits.  The Hulk had just opened up and was definitely thrilling.  Its the lit up coaster in the background.  Of course, we rode all the Harry Potter rides and enjoyed some butter beer ice-cream! 
 On a day to day basis, I really don't feel that old. This is a different story when one of my kids hits a milestone.  This year has been a BIG year for Dallin.  He graduated from high school and early morning seminary.  He turned 18 and registered to vote. Just a few weeks ago he was made an elder in our church.  All of these have been huge events for him and remind me what a fantastic young man he is.  He is currently taking online college classes with BYU-I and preparing for his 2 year church mission.  I am incredibly proud of him.  
 Our 5th nephew and 4th niece were born to Richard's brother and sister-in-law.  They are adorable and loved by so many, especially big sister, Edie.  Nieces and nephews are super fun.  We look forward to our visits with them all. Its one of the downsides to not living in NC with all our family. We don't get nearly enough hugs and kisses as this aunt would like. 
 For the first time EVER I got to get away alone.  I have traveled with just Richard but never flown or traveled alone.   I was able to visit my long time friend, Shannon in TX.  There is nothing like a long talks, big hugs and yummy food to soothe the soul.  Shannon has always been a great friend to have and I appreciate her advice and thoughts.  Friends are the ones who love you despite your flaws.  They make you want to be better and help you find a way to achieve it.  I'm already looking forward to a return trip.  
Our summer got off to a fantastic start with our besties in VA!  We love the Most family and are excited to see their family grow.  We can't wait to meet the newest Most arriving in just a couple of months.  When we first met them back in TN, they had no kids and ours were little.  We have lots of pictures from our adventures with them and as we always do, enjoyed our Richmond adventures during this visit. Lots of late nights laughing, playing with kiddos and tasty food.  They introduced us to Sugar Shack donuts and cheap vintage records! True friends lead you to the donuts.  :) 


So even though we rarely pull out our fancy camera, we are still making memories, spending time with loved ones and being grateful everyday for our family and friends.  

Love,
Stacey


No comments: